Wednesday, April 27, 2011

FFFC comments

I have only had two comments on my Ephemeral Landscape, and I don't think anyone really "got it." Although there are a number of people who don't read until they have finished their own pieces, and the pieces are not due until Saturday morning. We were challenged to look at the work of Andy Goldsworthy, much of which is ephemeral, in that it is done out in "nature" and only lasts as long as the water, wind, rain or passersby allow it to.  That was my intent, to create something from natural materials, that obviously wouldn't last forever, so that the completing and posting of it was the end result.  But both comments encouraged me to try preserving natural materials.  I wouldn't mind trying that approach.  But I guess either I didn't explain my intent well, or taking the challenge literally was not really appropriate... or art quilters just aren't into "performance art."  Oh well.  I found it fun and exciting, which is good enough for me.   


Here's how it's looking now.





I wonder at times if I should be trying to be more about what I perceive as current and trendy in art quilting now instead of whatever I feel like doing.  It's not that I can't see what the "in crowd" is doing, just that I don't really want to follow someone else's muse.


I'm heading out of town this afternoon for three days at the Living Futures conference in Vancouver.  So no quilting/blogging.  But I will be back for the weekend, hoping to have some time for fun then.

No comments:

Post a Comment