Friday, May 6, 2011

Designing Placemats

Yesterday evening I was able to do a few sketches and figure out a general idea of what I'm trying to achieve for the place mats, though I have no idea about the table runner yet.  I am thinking it will become clear, once the place mats are done.  I finally stopped in at Fabric Etc., and found the green and gray fabrics I was imagining/remembering in the first place.  Turns out it's designed by Ty Pennington. There were three patterns in the color way, but I only bought one.  I've already bought so much other stuff, and they were $17.99 a yard!  Yikes!  Here's the one I picked.


At lunch I got set up and started slicing strips from all of the selected fabrics, I cut a variety between 1" - 2-1/2."   The plan is to make a number of striped pieces of different sizes, then piece them each slightly differently.   They will be reversible  so I think I'll feature this fabric on one side and the leaf design on the other side.  Maybe bind them in white for a crisp edge?   One thing I realized as I am writing, is that reversible means quilting has to look good on both sides.  Uh-oh.  

No comments:

Post a Comment