Thursday, June 30, 2011

QSDS Report

I promised a report on the adventure of my first QSDS, and I've started one... that's the best I can do for now.  Sadly I don't have photos to post, since I don't want to post others' pictures or work without their permission.  

The first event when I arrived was the Sunday bus trip to Coshocton's Johnson Humrickhouse Museum where an exhibit entitled "Pushing the Surface, Contemporary Art Quilts" was showing.   They were wonderful, and I was thrilled to be able to view so many great pieces right up close.  I learned that even though I pour over art quilt books for hours, the real thing is 100 times better.   I recognized some of the names in the exhibit like 
Kathy Weaver, Sue Benner, Nancy Cook and Noriko Endo, and was excited to find out that another featured artist,  Maya Chaimovich was right there with us on the tour.   


The next stop was the Zanesville Art Center, for "Superlatives, Contemporary Ohio Quilts," which was also spectacular, and included such notables as Nancy Crow.  


Our third stop was the Jewish Community Center, to see Maya's solo show, which I've linked above.  Her works are mostly abstract, and based on colors.  I love that most of her material is recycled clothing and other fabrics from flea markets.   Maya turned out to be in my class, and I greatly enjoyed her modest attitude and beautiful work. 


After getting settled into the dorm and meeting my roommates on Sunday evening, classes started in full swing Monday morning.  It was great to finally get to meet Valerie, and to have so much time and access to her help and opinions.  The structure of the class was that we first all did a "template" project which she had already laid out for us.  I think there was a bit of grumbling from folks who thought that was stifling their creativity.  But by the time we were done, all had agreed that it was the only way to quickly learn Valerie's techniques and use them in our own project.  The Acropolis was the subject of the project.  Here's my almost finished piece.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to the present, I'm still sort of floating in limbo not sure what I need to do next.  Other than work of course.  Big deadline at work on July 6, as well as many other not-so-patiently waiting clients.   And then there's wedding planning.  Lots to do there.  


Still waiting for my box from UPS, so I can unpack and reorganize stuff, and get back to work on some of my WIP/UFO's.   I need to pick up my Round Robin for the next round at MQG.

No comments:

Post a Comment