Saturday, August 31, 2013

One Week


Are You Crazy?!?
First I loved it, then I hated it, then it started to get more interesting again.   As it came together I understood why people probably don’t intuitively piece a bunch of blocks then try to put them into a traditional quilt format.  With matching corners.  But it’s sort of fun.    I don’t know why I always go overboard on color. And complexity.  But I do.

I enjoyed the process of putting this together more or less intuitively.  But probably more happy with the fact that I was able to work quickly - quickly for me, anyway - without too much diddling and fiddling.  I tried something, and if it worked relatively okay I went forward with it.  
In the end it's too mish-mashy and overwhelming.  Too much screaming color.  Although it's not quite as screaming as it seems in the photo.  I think all that color terrified my camera.   Too much busy-ness.  The orange strips are too much orange in one place.  The striped log cabins in the center are too sloppy and overwhelming...  

I should have been more precise with the striped pieces.  They are all lumpy and crooked.  

But hey, it's something, and it's done, and its time to move on.  But... what if I put a couple stripes into the orange strips...?

2 comments:

  1. I love it. I hope you keep going. It forms a mandala of sorts, which I always like. I love the pattern and repetition. I am glad you didn't read my comments before you finished it. Your intution was right. I really want to see what the next one looks like. Yeah for color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the positive comments, Maria. I am thinking about building one from the center outward, but I don't want it to turn too log-cabin-y. We will see what evolves!

    ReplyDelete