Monday, September 8, 2014

Improv Squares

As I mentioned in the previous post, I've been playing with all the leftover fabric that was created during Rockers #4.  It's hard to re-file weird shaped pieces, but there was too much, and the pieces were too big to just put in the scrap bin.

I started sewing together random pieces.  They were interesting, but I felt like just combining them completely free-form was resulting in weird random shapes.  I would like to do large free-form abstracts, but it seemed like the parameters of this exercise - just using up scraps of eight colors - was not conducive to a good free form composition.  So I decided to make squares. I thought that would give the piece some structure.  The 6" squares seemed too small, but I had several of them, so I started also creating rectangles that would be approximately the size of two 6-inchers.

I'm still not sure how many of them want to be included in a piece.  At first I was thinking a square of  36 x 36, but that still seems pretty random.

I'm really liking how a simple 12 x 12 (really 11 x 11) combination looks.  Maybe there will be a variety.

Here's the wall with all the pieces I've made so far.
The top squares are not sewn yet.

I like this one, but the curve is to close to the edge.
It was remaining from the previous project.
Another possible keeper - close up.
 Making the simple squares would be quick, and done, but a lot more finishing work!

Here's the remaining pile.  Not sure how many more I will make.  They get more and more complicated as the scraps get smaller.  I already screwed up a few and had to recut, which also makes them more complicated,  Oh well.  I'm having fun.  Isn't that the point?

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Rockers #4 Top Complete

I have not been much of a blogger lately.  I have not been too much of an artist, either.  It's summer!  It's the warmest, driest summer ever recorded in the northwest, and I'm trying to enjoy it.  The garden is thriving, but the orchard seems to be suffering from bad pruning (mine).  It's a learning experience, right?

But I did complete the top for Rockers #4, it was started just before the Sew In on August 2nd and completed the weekend of the 29th.   I got through about 75% with great ease and joy.  Always a bad sign.  The last bit was a struggle!
Here's how it started

Choosing colors for background

Got about halfway to here at the sew in, then continued the right side
And then the indecision hit.  I thought I had left plenty of fabric on the right side, but ended up regretting not making bigger pieces.  That orange shield shape was removed and recut three times.  It ended up back about where it started, at times it was much bigger.  I didn't take photographs, it was too frustrating.

The right is still weak.  I don't like how small the purple got.  And maybe there is too much of the rusty orange.  But there comes a point where you just have to say enough is enough and quit.  Time to move on.

Final version.
It's going to be in the 80's and wonderful today, but I think I'll take a little break in the studio now.  I have been playing with all the scraps and re-cut pieces from Rockers #4 and making little improv blocks.  It's fun.